Great Horwood village survey
PROJECT 2011-2 : OCTOBER 2011
AIM: Initially, to produce an overview survey of the historic core of the
North Buckinghamshire village of Great Horwood
PROJECT COORDINATORS: Sue Fox and Mary Saunders
STAGE 1: THE VILLAGE OVERVIEW
A historic buildings survey day was held at Great Horwood Village Hall on Saturday 22 October 2011, organised by the
BAS Historic Buildings Group (HBG). Twenty-four people took part, mostly HBG members but including a few villagers.
After a short introduction to the history of the village, the 24 participants divided into four teams
to conduct a quick survey of all buildings, whether historic or modern, within the village's Conservation Area.
Great Horwood was an Anglo-Saxon village, held by ‘Young Aylward, a thane of King Edward's’ before
the Norman Conquest in 1066 and granted by William the Conqueror – along with much of the rest of the county – to
Walter Giffard. The manor was valued at £4 in Domesday Book.
After a break for lunch, the group was given a guided tour of the parish church of St James by John Brushe, before
dispersing to conduct overview internal surveys of four of the village's historic houses. Altogether Great Horwood contains 46
This initial one-day survey covered 127 buildings, including the whole of the village Conservation Area.
Reports for each of the village streets are listed below. Click on the
Street name to view each report: