Windmill Farmhouse is a listed Grade II building dating originally from the early 17th century, with later additions and a 19th-century courtyard of farm buildings. It stands on the sdouthern edge of Wingrave, looking out over the fields to the Chiltern escarpment.
Although part of a working farm until well into the 20th century, the house seems mainly to have been occupied by the farm's workers rather than its owner, and was at times divided into several separate dwellings. Its ownership was also chequered, including both Leopold de Rothschild and Bucks County Council. Not at all your usual run-of-the-mill council house!
A measured and detailed survey of Windmill Farmhouse, on the southern edge of Wingrave, was made over two days in November 2009 by a large group of members from both the Wingrave local history society and the BAS Historic Buildings Group.
A dendrochronological analysis of tree-rings in major timbers in the roof and wall frames of the house gave a felling date for these timbers of 1615. The house would therefore have been built the following year, 1616.
The survey also revealed interesting alterations made to the building in the 18th century, when a single-storey extension was added at the back, but with a cellar underneath, while the central open-hearth fireplace was increased in size.
Documentary sources shed light on these changes when they revealed that a Robert Griffin and his family had lived in part of Windmill Farmhouse from around 1765 onwards. Robert was the son of a Stewkley baker, and had moved to Wingrave to set up his own bakery. His descendants were the village's bakers until the 1950s.
The documents also included much information about previous inhabitants of the farmhouse, tracing its ownership through three centuries.
The full report was completed by Andrew Muir in March 2012 and is available here, to be read on-screen or downloaded for printing: The History of Windmill Farmhouse