House History: A short guide to sources
The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies (CBS) has put together a series of ten short guides that will
be useful for anyone - historian or occupier - who wants to learn more about the county's historic houses.
These are all available on the CBS website, where they can be read on-line or printed out.
The 10 short guides can be accessed from here:
- House history: Introduction
- Things to watch out for
- First steps
- Documents: Maps, inventories, sale notices and insurance records
- More documents: Building Control, the building trade, estate agents, photos and newspapers
- Map surveys: Tithes, inclosure awards, the 1910 Valuation and landed estates
- Ownership: Title deeds and manorial records
- Estate records, Wills and commercial directories
- Taxation: Parish Rate books, Land Tax, electoral registers and Census returns
- Books on house history generally
- Books on house history in Buckinghamshire